Friday, January 19, 2018

.NET: ASP.NET CORE 2.0

After a long patient wait, it has finally happened – I'm using ASP.NET CORE 2.0 on all my new projects at work and converting some of my old.   I'm very excited!

Why is this an important advancement for us Microsoft developers?   Simply put,  I can now write applications that will run cross-platform.   And I can do it easily.  I'm not so limited to operating systems or mobile vs. Desktop.  I can keep writing in my favorite flavor – C# -- but I also get to stretch out my JavaScript muscles.   I can run Visual Studio on my Windows PC, my Mac, or my Linux box In fact, though Visual Studio makes life easier and faster, I don't really even need it.   

I can download the .NET CORE SDK on either OS and I am ready to go.  I can use the same templates used in Visual Studio but just initialize them via the command prompt.  Code can be built and ran from this same prompt.  I can edit the code via any text editor.   To make it sweeter; however, downloading the free editor – Visual Studio Code – I can also walk through code and debug!    

I know, it's been around a while, but in the corporate world, I've gotten started earlier than allot of folks.  I cannot say what this does to my efforts at continuous delivery – I actually started to think that I might permanently end up in the Java world without choice. 

You can read about ASP.NET CORE here!

No comments:

Post a Comment